
If you have a chance to attend a canning class at Shar’s Kitchen, you should go and learn some of the tips and tricks. She charges a ten dollar fee, but you will sample lots of amazing food. It’s always good to attend with questions about the things you want to do. Even if the teacher may not know, someone in the class will have an answer or a source. Classes are always fun.
I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts to get the most meat into the jar. Everyone likes white meat, so I don’t bother canning anything but breast meat, but you can bottle the whole chicken if you want.
Prepare jars.
I like to rinse off the chicken in cool water and I cut the breasts into long strips, maybe 3 strips per breast. Fit raw chicken into jars leaving 1 inch headspace.
DO NOT PRECOOK • DO NOT ADD LIQUID
Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart, 1/2 teaspoon to pints.
Salt is optional, but I strongly recommend it.
Close jars with prepared lids and bands according to manufacturer's directions.
Process in a Pressure Canner…
Exhaust air from canner following manufacturer’s directions.
Once weight is in place, bring to 15 lbs. pressure.
Maintain pressure for 75 minutes for pints, 90 minutes for quarts.
When time has been reached, remove from heat and allow pressure to fall on it’s own. When there is zero pressure, remove weight. Carefully lift off canner lid and lift jars onto a towel on flat counter and allow to cool. Jars should “ping” and should not be disturbed for at least 12 hours. Remove bands to clean jars and replace if you want. Keep rotated as meat should not be kept much over a year.
Enjoy in many, many recipes.
No comments:
Post a Comment